Jul 31, 2009

Desi Fried Egg



I really hate cooking eggs...I don't mind eating them if they are cooked right. I don't like brioche or anything (I don't mind if my bread or whatever doesn't have a shiny glaze, thankyouverymuch) that's too egg-ish. This includes all the horrible ice cream here in America that smell like the yolk of an egg (haagendaaz is the prime example of this ridiculousness). Just wanted to get all of that off my chest. Vegetarian ice cream FTW. I don't eat a lot of sweet stuff though, so I survive without ranting too much.


I took a chance last week when I bought 6 brown eggs from vegetarian hens who were free range. I have to say, the odour (for the clean up anyway) wasn't as strong as after cooking generic white eggs. That's fabulous! After making our tradition egg-white-only-kitchen-sink (garlic, spinach, mushroom, onion, tomato, basil, olives, cheese, whatever else is on hand) omlette, we were down to 2 eggs.

I decided to pan fry 'em up for a late sunday brunch. the recipe that follows was concocted at random by SOMEONE (no one is taking credit for it. I know it's not me or my dad, so it's down to mom or brother) in my family. This is definitely an interesting way to eat an egg. Hope you enjoy!

OH AND IT'S SPICY!

Serves 1
Ingredients:
1 egg
Pinches of: salt, black pepper, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli (indian) powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala.
1 tspn vegetable oil

To make a sandwich:
regular bread, some iceberg lettuce, and personally? i slather mine with the green tobasco sauce. Minutes after this meal MY mouth remains lit with a satisfactory fire.

Method:

1. Heat up oil in a nonstick pan (use as little oil as possible, it's only to prevent egg from sticking to the pan) on low heat/medium low.

2. Crack open egg onto the pan and break the yolk to spread it around. (optional. you can leave it as is, if you want. I hate yolks so I either chuck them or spread them out)

3. sprinkle all of the powders onto the surface of the egg.

4. After it seems like it has cooked on the other side and the yolk/yellow part is no longer runny, flip and let it cook some more. Again, I like my eggs severely cooked + it might be required for this recipe so the spice powders infuse into the egg.

5. Serve as a sandwich! I cut mine in Half in the picture above.

1 comment:

Pocketmouse said...

it's probably ridiculous to comment on my own recipe...but OMG SO GOOD.