Aug 30, 2009

Garlic Coconut Chutney


I love chutneys. Hopefully, with the success of this one, I will be making more.

Ingredients

1 large clove of garlic
3/4 cup shredded fresh coconut (if you have frozen fresh grated coconut, thaw it out)
1 Tbspn tamarind paste
Salt to taste
1 tspn red chilli powder
Some water or coconut milk

Method

1. In a food processor or blender, blend all of the above. The amount of water or coconut milk (for a smoother taste) you add depends, and generally you will need to add it so the ingredients can blend. I added about 1/2 cup. You might need more. The chutney shouldn't be liquidy or too dry, so add water/coconut milk with caution.

Serve with warm pita bread.

The chutney lasts well for about 10 days and makes a delicious quick breakfast along with pitas, if you don't mind the garlic breath, i.e.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I love coconut chutney! I always have it in south indian restaurants with idli and sambar..
Will have to try :)

Pocketmouse said...

Yea, I love chutneys too! Since I use a simple food processor it doesn't get as smooth as the ones you find in restaurants here.
I wish I could smuggle in an indian mixer/grinder. there is a specific chutney-making attachment to the blender!!! oh well. maybe i should just go live in india.

all you can eat chutneys.