Oct 6, 2009

Chicken Soup


With the crazy abrupt weather change here in Southern California, my body has succumbed to illness. I hate sore throats. Ugh. Anyhow, I had some bouillon cubes at hand and some random veggies. I haven't had the opportunity to go stock up yet, so whatever was in my fridge went into this soup. LV, has a more delectable version here.

Serves 1-2 (if you're all giant sick pigs like me)
Ingredients
1/2 cup chopped/shredded leftover rotisserie chicken
1/2 tspn dried oregano
1 big clove of garlic, minced
1/2 a carrot, sliced
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
a palmful of peas
5 florets of broccoli
some cauliflower (optional)
5 mushrooms (i used creminis-- more flavor that butto/white mushrooms)
whatever else veggie you have on hand...(squash, celery, scallions, bean sprouts, napa cabbage, spinach, snowpeas, etc.)
3 cups chicken stock ( i just used 1.5 cubes of chicken cubes in hot water)
salt to taste
and lots of black pepper to taste.
pasta of choice (i only had some multicolored corkscrew pasta)
some vegetable oil

Method

1. In a pan add the oil and heat it up on medium-high. To this add the garlic and oregano and saute for about 1 minute. Next add the onions and saute for 1 minute.

2. Add the hearty veggies (carrots, broccoli, beans) and saute for about 3 minutes.

3. Lastly add the chicken and mushrooms and mix for about 2 minutes.

4. In a separate pot bring the chicken stock to a simmer and add the cooked veggies and chicken to this. I cooked my pasta in the simmering stock before adding my veggies...you could do that or cook it separately. Lastly add a palmful of peas and bring to a boil. Taste and add lots of black pepper/salt.

Serve hot.

2 comments: