Feb 18, 2010

Chicken Provencal

 
Chicken Provencal
Serves 2
According to Julia Child, the combo of thyme, basil, fennel and garlic makes this “de Provence.” I wouldn’t know. But, I do know that this is one of the best chicken recipes I have ever made. The funny thing is, I’m really bad at following directions for French recipes – they’re too complex. So I just take the general flavor combinations and go with my gut. So here is my easy version with a lemon-basil cream sauce.
--AnglophileinLA
Chicken
6-8 chicken tenders
1/4th stick butter
1 tsp dried thyme, or a small handful fresh (I used fresh)
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
1 tsp dried basil
½ tsp fennel seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
a dash of dry white wine

Sauce
1 egg yolk
½ cup buttermilk
Juice from ½ lemon
1 Tb dry white wine
5 leaves fresh basil, chopped coarse
For the chicken:
1. Put the garlic and butter in at the same time, so the butter melts as the garlic cooks, infusing everything with garlicky goodness.
2. Add the thyme, dried basil and fennel seeds.
3. Add the chicken, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Brown the chicken in the butter, then flip.
4. Add the wine, and cover the pot, let cook for another 5 minutes.


For the sauce

Take all the ingredients and put them in a pot, stirring constantly. Let it simmer for a couple minutes. I don’t think the darkened basil looks that good, so I poured the sauce through a strainer over the chicken.

I served the chicken over quinoa, which was perfect to soak up the sauce, and had a side of simple green beans.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: