Oct 9, 2008

Wheat Laddoo (Pusuk laddoo!)

I wanted to start this blog off with (one of my) favorite desserts growing up.

In South Canara (Karnataka) Konkani it is called "choormundo" while in North Canara Konkani it is called "Goli." Because of my lack of sufficient Konkani knowledge when I was first introduced to it, I christened it "Pusuk" laddoo because of its tendency to just collapse. Pusuk is a word in Konkani which means, you guessed it, collapse/collapsed/collapsible.

To make 8-10 Laddoos

Ingredients
:
Whole Wheat flour : 1 Cup
Powdered Sugar : 1/2- 3/4 Cup
Clarified Butter (Ghee) : 2 Tbsp
Cardamom (green) - 2 powdered

Procedure:
In a deep pan, add the Ghee. Allow it to melt. Then add the wheat flour and roast/fry it until it is brownish (not so much that its burnt, but just enough so you know its not doughy. I can tell by the color change and by tasting it).




Important: Allow it to cool. Then add the powdered sugar and powdered cardamom and mix thoroughly.





Finally--the hardest part--is to make the round balls/laddoos. There is a technique involved and I've videotaped my mom doing it. [Ignore the noise in the background].



Enjoy!

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I love that you've videotaped your Mom making them- that's so cool! Also, I've been seeing clarified butter sold in grocery stores recently, which is great for me since I'm not that good at making it.

Pocketmouse said...

I would still recommend buying ghee at an Indian store, if possible. I've been told that grilling veggies/meats etc. coated with clarified butter/ghee enhances the flavours.

The bad thing about ghee is that it also enhances one's cholesterol. :(

Also sidenote, next time mom makes ghee, I'll videotape it. ;)

Lauren said...

What's the texture of the finished laddoo? Is it doughy, bready, or crunchy? And do you do anything after rolling it in a ball?

Pocketmouse said...

well, its definitely not bready or crunchy. doughy, depends.

Its like dry ingredients of a cake...but with this cooked taste. the frying of the wheat flour brings this mildly nutty flavour to it. so its like eating powdered sugar with an essence of nuts and cardamom.

the fact that u can make it into balls is due to the moisture of the ghee of which there is very little. ergo this laddoo is very delicate and just collapses when u bite into it.

hope that helped.

Unknown said...

oooh i love these but like the besan ki ladoos more. i'm guessing the proportions are similar? am gonna try (eventually) and good name coining 'pusuk' ladoos - i like! the joys of naming things :D ace video as well!