Jun 14, 2009

Nuclear 'Sheek' Kababs


I went to the store to get some Chicken breast meat but instead walked out with minced turkey meat. Since I was out of Lasagna ingredients (my go-to recipe for minced meat), I decided to try out an Indian buffet favourite: Sheek kabab.

Sheek or Shish? that is the question. According to wikitionary, sheek implies minced meat and shish implies cubed pieces of meat. I like Nuclear Kababs. My brother gave them this name because of their intense aroma.

I also want to pay homage to two of my companions in the kitchen that I lost over this recipe. Lousy companions, but companions none the less: My knives.



Ingredients:

1 Lb of minced meat (I use either turkey or chicken; lean meat works)
1 medium onion finely chopped
1/2" ginger finely chopped (use your grater)
6-8 garlic cloves finely chopped (you may want to lower the amount of garlic)
Lime/Lemon juice of 1
Vegetable Oil-1.5 tbspn
about 1.5 tbspn water with saffron (can omit)
Fresh green chillies (I used serrano) - 2-4 depending on how hot you like your food.
Salt
Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Red chilli powder - 1/2tsp
Corriander powder - 3/4tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2tsp

Optional: Fresh Cilantro/Corriander leaves

Method:

1. In a utensil, add all of your ingredients except the meat, oil, and saffron water. mix and taste to check if you want more spices or salt.

2. Next add the rest of your ingredients and mix thoroughly.

3. Let it marinate in the fridge for anywhere from an hour to 6 hours.

4. Make them into shapes you are familiar with (sphere in my case) and fire up your grill and grill 'em! Or, since I'm lame I just pan-grilled them in a non-stick pan. Since I had already used oil in the mix, I didn't bother oiling the pan before cooking them. They will release liquid as they cook. Cook on one side for about 5-7 mins until it starts browning and then flip and let other side brown as well.

5. Serve with grilled onions, lemon wedges, warm pita, saffron flavored basmati rice, and a yoghurt sauce (Yoghurt + some fresh minced garlic + salt) .

2 comments:

Matt said...

This is an awesome blog! Nuclear 'Sheek' Kababs... ha, very good. I am totally going to cook some of those babies up.

Your photography is nice too.

Lauren said...

Wow, love the new look of the blog and these kebabs look outstanding!!!