Aug 8, 2009

Chicken/Paneer Tikka Pizza


Who doesn't enjoy a good pizza? I know; everyone's version of "good" differs. A brief history about my tastes perhaps will help. I used to love pizza hut, little caesars, etc. But around 2005, the visuals of thick layers of cheese and greasy dough just turned me off. But they taste sooo good, you say, and I agree!
Anyway around that time, i cut down my intake. From 2006-2008 I was in grad school and every Friday we had to have lunch with a visiting scholar and guess what was the lunch? that's right, more greasy pizza. Suffice to say, that's when I started cooking for myself and just the aroma of a pizza began turning me off. *sad-face*

So here we are now. I like pizzas again, but not the cheap greasy fast-food kind. I enjoy the weird thin crust versions with eclectic toppings (Welcome to California). But I don't like paying an arm and a leg for these. So I make them myself!

Since apart from putting it together and toasting it in the oven everything else is store bought, my pizzas are a super-quick dinner or snack.

Serves 1

Ingredients

Chicken/Paneer Tikka Masala (I had some leftover from dinner outside) 1-2 tbspn
Marinara Sauce (optional) - 1 tbspn
1 Whole Wheat Pita (can use whatever pita you prefer)
Cheese (I used Gouda and Havarti, because again, those were leftover and tasted much better than normal mozarella. Could mix all three!)
Some italian seasoning - a pinch or so to sprinkle on top of the pizza
Thai chillies (can substitute green pepper): thinly sliced (1 per pita)
Red onion : thinly sliced, less than a 1/4; depends on how much you like on your pizza


Method
1. Set oven to 400 degrees and let bread heat up for about 3 minutes.

2. Spread the marinara and tikka masala (chop up the chicken or paneer) onto the bread. You can go for 50-50 or put more of the tikka than the marinara.

3. top this off of the red onions, green chillies, sprinkle of italian seasoning, and cheeses.

4. put it back in the oven and at 425 degrees let this toast up until the cheese has melted and crust is crispy.

Cut into 4's and enjoy with a salad! Dinner done!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

OMG - INDIAN ITALIAN FUSION I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

Pocketmouse said...

I know, right? I had my first Tikka pizza when i was 15 or so in India. that restaurant has long since shut down but that was possibly the best pizza topping ever (such an explosion of flavors in my oral cavity). My pizza comes really close to it, so I'm extremely pleased!

General rule of thumb : Slather ANYTHING with enough cheese and it will taste good. ;)

Let the experiments begin.