Pele Fried Rice
(makes 6 servings)
Ingredients:1 tablespoon oil
2 shallots (sliced)
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 jalapeno chopped fine
1 red pepper (diced)
3 tablespoons chicken stock (or vegetable broth)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup cashews (roasted)
3 cups cooked rice (preferably a day old)
1 cup pineapple (cut into bite sized pieces)
1 cup cooked shrimp (optional)
1/4 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup currants
2 green onions (sliced)
1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the shallots, garlic, jalapeno and red bell pepper and stir-fry until fragrant, about a minute.
3. Add the chicken stock, soy sauce, curry powder and sugar and stir-fry.
4. Add the cashews and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
5. Add the rice, break up any clumps and stir-fry for a few minutes.
6. Add the pineapple, shrimp, peas and currants and stir-fry to mix them in.
At this point it is vitally important to TASTE the mixture to see if it needs more soy sauce or more curry powder. I know I added more of both than the recipe says.
7. Remove from heat and serve garnished with chopped green onions and cilantro.