Sep 28, 2009

Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies

Imagine Toll House, but lighter and fluffier - that's what these turned out to be. I don't know whether it was the shortening or the sourdough starter, but one or both of them made these into a melt-in-your-mouth consistancy. I highly recommend this recipe. My mom swears she can taste a slight sour kick to the cookie, but I sure can't. --AnglophileLV
***On consideration, these cookies could have used more chocolate chips. So throw in 1 and 1/2 bags if you are making a half-batch like I did.

Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies (Recipe makes 70 cookies, cut in half for smaller batches)

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour -- unsifted
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter -- softened
1 cup shortening -- softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar -- packed
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sourdough starter
4 eggs
1 3/4 cups walnuts -- chopped
2 12 oz pkgs chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine butter, shortening, sugars and mix well. Add eggs and beat until all are blended. Add vanilla and sourdough starter. Beat in flour, soda, salt and mix well. Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

3 comments:

Charles said...

Interesting. I don't know if I would like chocolate chip cookies to be slightly sour. Salty, yes. Sour? I don't know. Bring some down so I can find out!!!

Pocketmouse said...

cookie cookie cookie!! mmmm COOKIEEEE

Charles said...

Oh, also, this one seems like a likely foodgawker picture. More than the pancake picture you submitted actually, I think.