Sep 7, 2009
Roasted Tomato Sauce
This tomato sauce recipe is a little different - you chop all the vegetables and roast them in the oven. The bacon and balsamic vinegar give it a more round and complex flavor, which is why I left out the tomato paste when I made it. I think next time I'll try adding a half can of tomato paste for texture and color. But, as is, this is really good and very easy. There's nothing like home-made tomato sauce in summer. The basic recipe is from Closet Cooking, my second favorite food blog, but I added a lot more tomatoes, parmesan and used more fresh herbs. --AnglophileLV
Roasted Tomato Sauce - adapted from Closet Cooking
8 medium tomatoes quartered
1/2 small onion chopped
3 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
A dash of whatever red wine you’re drinking with the meal
5 sprigs fresh oregano (a small handful)
a small handful of fresh basil
3 pieces bacon chopped (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
fresh parsley (chopped)
1/2 C fresh grated parmesan
1. Place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano, basil, bacon, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to coat.
2. Place the mixture in a baking dish and bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 45 minutes.
3. Place the mixture in a food processor.
4. Use the food processor or immersion blender to chop the sauce to the consistency that you desire.
5. Toss with the fresh parsley, parmesan and pasta to serve.