Oct 9, 2009
Stir fried tofu and vegetables with Rice Noodles
This recipe was concocted at random by yours truly. I'm totally in love with the flavor but it has to be said that I was still under the weather and could barely smell or taste anything..
Broccoli - 6 florets
Green beans - 5-7, roughly chopped
Red Mushrooms/creminis -7
Yellow onion - 1/2 either sliced or chopped to match the size of tofu/broccoli
1-2 thai dried red chilli peppers
soy sauce to taste
hoisin sauce to taste - i used about 1 tbspn
sugar - to taste- i used about 1-2 tspn
chicken stock - 3/4 cup
corn starch - 2 tspns mixed in aout 2tbspn water or stock.
rice noodles or any noodles or rice whatever you have at hand
vegetable or sesame oil.
tofu - extra firm or grilled tofu works too.
i would add: bok choy, snow peas, shitake mushrooms, carrots etc., but that's for next time.
1. First I fried up the tofu...you can either deep-fry it or shallow pan fry it until golden on both/all sides. Keep aside; drain on towels. Or If you have Yaki-dofu/grilled tofu, skip this step.
2. In a pan add oil and heat it up on high. next add the thai chillies for about 30sec-1 minute.
3. Add the onions, broccoli, and beans and add about 1 tbspn of stock and saute for about 3 minutes. Lastly add the mushrooms and saute for 1 minute. Keep this mixture aside.
4. In same (or different) pan, on medium low, add some chicken stock (2 tbspn), add hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sugar and keep mixing. Adjust amounts until your palate is satisfied. Add remaining Stock and corn starch liquid and let it thicken up (but not too much). At this point add the veggies and tofu and mix.
5. Pour over rice noodles or rice and serve immediately.