Nov 29, 2009

Butternut squash with caramelized onions and crispy fried sage


It's the time of year to give thanks, and I'd like to give an extra big helping of Thanks to Closet Cooking. I got the two recipes I made for Thanksgiving this year from Closet Cooking, and they both turned out amazingly well. I hate to go around nailing the leftovers of another food blog (pun intended), but this is what I've been cooking lately, so that's what I'm blogging about.

Incidentally, I will be creating my own leftover turkey risotto recipe tonight, so I haven't thrown originality out the window quite yet.

But for now, bask in the glory that is butternut squash with caramelized onions, crispy fried sage and gorgonzola.

Ingredients:
2 cups butternut squash (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion (sliced)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 tablespoon butter
1 handful sage leaves
1/4 cup gorgonzola dolce (crumbled)

Directions:
1. Toss the butternut squash with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Roast the squash in a preheated 350F oven until tender, about 30-40 minutes and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil and melt the butter in a pan.
4. Add the onion and cook on low until caramelized, about 40-60 minutes.
5. Add the garlic and saute for a few minutes and set aside.
6. Melt the butter in a pan and let it brown.
7. Add the sage leaves and saute until crispy, about 2-3 minutes.
8. Add everything to the pan and toss in the browned butter to coat and remove from heat when the gorgonzola starts to melt.

No comments: